Skip to main content

Visit with Joyce Gehl



This week I met up with my friend and fellow encaustic painter, Joyce Gehl, for my own private viewing of her current solo exhibition at the Patricia Rovzar Gallery. The show titled, Flight of the Caterpillar, features Gehl’s lush and layered photo-encaustics that depict ethereal landscapes and macro views of nature.


Photo-Encaustic by Joyce Gehl.

Detail of Gehl's work showing surface texture.
I was struck by the beauty and texture of her finished surfaces. To fully appreciate the subtleties that make her work so compelling you need to see these paintings in person. You’ll have to hurry though…the show comes down May 2nd. For more information visit Joyce Gehl’s website and the Patricia Rovzar Gallery.

Joyce Gehl at work in her studio.
My afternoon with Joyce continued on and from the gallery show we headed over to TASTE in the  Seattle Art Museum for a delightful lunch and another peek at my show that is still on display there thru June 12th. We then headed back to my studio for an exchange of ideas about studio spaces, working with encaustic and the importance of connecting with other creative professionals. As studio artists we both often work in isolation and as encaustic painters we also share some of the same challenges and rewards that are unique to working with wax. So "thank you" Joyce for the inspiring art-filled afternoon.

I had another artist drop by the studio just moments after Joyce left... but I will share that with you in another post.  Cheers for now...Alicia

Comments

Joyce Gehl said…
Such a lovely posting. Thank you Alicia. I had a fantastic time with you and I cherish our art friendship.
Alicia Tormey said…
Me too Joyce! Let's get together again soon!